Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Energy Saving Tip

I must be the worst blog poster on the planet. Six months - wow! But now I have lots to say so I will begin with some advice: This advice is about saving the planet (for the Democrats out there) and saving money (for the Republicans out there)- it is a simple tip for saving energy- regardless of how your household energy is fueled-but be careful ...this could be earth shattering for some of you out there...
When the weather permits, cool your home by opening the windows.
Yes, you can actually keep your house fairly cool by opening your windows and turning off the AC but be warned, there is an art to it.

If you leave your windows open all day you will let hot air in when the air heats up outside. This should be avoided. The trick is to open the windows in the evening when the temperature cools down and let the cool air into your dwelling. Shut the windows in the morning as soon as the temperature begins to warm outside. The cool air will stay trapped in your house as the outside air warms actually allowing you to keep your AC off longer. If you work outside your home and you do not have anyone to monitor the window closing just shut your windows before you leave in the AM.

I understand that not everyone lives in a place where open windows are practical. But think of how much energy (and money) you can save if you can open your windows at night. Another trick is to move sleeping quarters to lower levels of the house in summer or if you are lucky enough to have a sleeping porch, use it. My friend, Jamie, who lived in the city during his college years would go sleep on the roof of his building in the summer- during good weather of course.

Ceiling fans with the blades turned in the correct direction can do wonders for cooling a house cheaply in the summer. You can turn up the temp on your thermostat and remain comfortable with a ceiling fan breeze.

OK. That's it for now. I have to go to sleep because I have a cold and feel disgusting. My friend, Bob, said I am sick because I am so healthy and into clean living. His theory is that one should pollute their body to the utmost to make it as uninhabitable as possible for diseases. His suggestion to restore me to health was to smoke a pack of cigs and drink a fifth of wiskey. Naturally, I ignored his advise and am taking extra vitamin C, Nazoal, and some completely vile mushroom extract that eventhough with stuffy nose I cannot taste it makes my stomach feel as though I have consumed something totally gross. Will report tomorrow if I have the chance.
VS

No comments: